Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday, January 30, 2012 cally
I participated in the Chinese New Year Parade yesterday in Chinatown. Chinese New Year (or Lunar New Year) was on Jan. 23rd, but celebrations usually last for 2 weeks. As I was born and raised in Vancouver, I have not experienced Chinese New Year anywhere else, but I hear (and can imagine) how huge of a deal it is. Everyone gets like two weeks off or something? The tradeoff is that they don't get a Christmas break though, I believe.

I learned most of the traditions from my family, such as wearing new red clothes on the first day for a new beginning and not washing my hair on new year's day. The food that we eat also holds a significant meaning behind it. For example, fish is an important dish because in Chinese, it has the same pronunciation as  ("surplus" or "remain") and this is to stress prosperity and that there will always be "extra" money or "leftovers" - more than enough.

This year, I participated in the Chinatown New Year Parade for the first time. The parade went through Chinatown and it lasted for about 2 hours. There were many different groups ranging from Chinese clubs/associations to elementary schools, martial arts, and dance organizations participating in the parade. Almost each group had their own lions for lion dance and I really enjoyed watching them too! I was really surprised to see so many spectators throughout the entire route of the parade as it was rainy that day. The lions really entertained the spectators, especially the children though. I really enjoyed being a part of the parade and I can see that the spectators also really enjoyed their time and had lots of fun! Hope you all were able to join in on the fun and learn a bit about Chinese culture!
Mayor Gregor Robertson
Premier Christy Clark
Mayor Gregor Robertson was also present, giving out lucky red pockets from a large reusable bag! Premier Christy Clark was also there giving...hugs & and lucky red pockets. Loved their Chinese attire!

Happy Year of the Dragon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment